Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provides systems support for advanced research computing environment, to include the installation, integration and management of high-performance computer systems, clusters, operating systems, peripherals, and system interfaces; monitors system usage; ensures that the high-performance computing complex is operating at optimal performance and reliability levels; additional duties include consulting, training and the development and maintenance of systems documentation.
2. Works in collaboration with senior systems staff to manage the hardware and systems software infrastructure to provide an effective, reliable, high performance, scalable computing environment.
3. Participates in the configuration and tuning of batch queuing systems in a massively parallel production environment; collects parallel system utilization statistics; identifies and resolves computer system anomalies and operational problems; and provides systems support for electronic mail, name resolution, and file sharing services.
4. Maintains an understanding of state-of-the-art computing systems and peripherals; computer operating systems; and scalable, parallel architectures.
5. Works with users and other computational professionals in evaluating user requirements, and in the configuration and deployment of computational resources.
6. Works with computer hardware and software vendors to maintain an understanding of industry trends and evolving technology.
7. Provides consulting and technical support for marketing and outreach activities.
8. Serves as project leader on small to medium-sized projects.
9. Solves moderately complex problems and tasks independently.
10. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Requirements
· Bachelor’s degree; at least 3 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
· Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
· Good working knowledge of high performance computing systems; scalable, parallel architectures; and Linux operating system.
· Knowledge of advanced data storage technologies and high-speed network interfaces.
· Ability to contribute to the development of technical design decisions involving software or hardware implementation strategies.
· Ability to monitor system usage and performance statistics and to understand the impacts of operating system tuning parameters.
· Working knowledge of one or more high-level programming languages such as C# or ADA
· Good working knowledge of one or more scripting languages such as csh, Bash, Awk, perl, Python, etc.
· Skilled experience in the installation and configuration of operating systems and applications software.
·Experience with complex problem resolution procedures, testing and evaluation methods, and programming tools.
·Experience with network security procedures and protocols.
·Ability to assist technical management and Director in gathering user requirements and planning and designing computer systems.
·Ability to understand and follow established methods and procedures for the integration, testing and installation of system modifications.
·Ability to analyze requirements and determine computational resource impacts.
·Ability to analyze complex problems, interpret operational needs, and develop integrated, creative solutions.
·Effective verbal and written communication skills.
Position requires: a) Using independent judgment on tasks and problem solving of a complex nature; b) working as member of Systems team and with project leader on sizeable projects; c) working as part of Systems team to deploy and configure large parallel and system software components; d) demonstrated depth of understanding of specialty area; e) working as member of Systems team to develop new ideas and guide the organization in technology; f) serving as mentor to other HPC systems engineers and technical staff.